When exploring something new, auto-pilot no longer works;
may you allow your heart to lead you through fear, into abundance.
As we consider the idea of change, transformation, embracing new, exploring different paths, experimenting with unfamiliar techniques and practices, we often find that external in our life changes and all of a sudden we are in the land of new and different.
Resistance happens because, in general, people tend to fear that which is unfamiliar.
If you feel you are one who has trust in flow, when resistance arises, you might judge yourself harshly.
If you feel you do not have trust in flow, when resistance arises, you might judge yourself harshly.
When we judge (self or another) we are flooded with feelings that are less than enriching; weighed down, we find moving forward very difficult, and, at times, impossible.
We wish to embrace “new”, but find ourselves stuck.
Even worse, when we are stuck, we expect auto-pilot to kick in; when the experience is new, auto-pilot no longer is applicable and we panic, forgetting even our basic practices that we rely upon to enrich and enliven our energy.
At this point, we feel paralyzed, unable to move ‘back’, really wishing to move forward. Many people quit. Frustrated, discouraged, disheartened.
Right on the border of new..so close they can feel it, they quit.
You are not one who wishes to quit. You are one who wishes to experience the fullness of the moment.
I know this, because you are visiting this space where we specialize in exploring and experimenting as we vest presence to infinite possibility.
I am going to reflect to you a way of presence that invites us to move through these stuck spaces, as we are, “imperfectly so”.
1. Acknowledge resistance without judgment. These feelings are a sign that we are moving into something new…I take resistance as a sign that I am in such new territory, it is time to celebrate, for that must mean my “inner work” or practices have resulted in transformation/change. Yes!
2. Breathe a full cleansing breath (or a few) to enliven the energy in the moment. A full cleansing breath naturally removes that which is stagnant, replacing it with fresh. The quick refreshment invites the body to move. Also, when fear arises, we tend to hold our breath. Breathing dissolves fear (amplifies faith), in that moment.
3. Find something within this new experience that is familiar. When we panic, if we can find something familiar, it is calming. When I am in completely new, I look for something that grounds me–perhaps that is something physical about myself (look, my hands are “the same” and capable) or something external (there is the sun in the sky).
4. Find something within this new experience that you appreciate/love. When you are in new and different, you have most likely initiated movement into this space because something about it interests you. Find the something that is interesting (even if it is temporary in this moment). Find numerous things about this experience that interest you. Identifying this interest (love) in the moment naturally raises your vibration, which dissolves panic and amplifies trust.
5. Celebrate all that you have found that is new and interesting. Appreciate the steps you have taken and presence you have vested, by celebrating the newness that thrills/fascinates/delights you. Your celebration may be as simple as “thank you”, or adding items to a written gratitude list. Your celebration may involve a gift or treat. The idea is to take the time to celebrate while in the newness, even if it still feels unfamiliar.
6. Release labels and expectations about familiar/unfamiliar and how you think you deal with it. As you recognize you are in an experience that is new, please also recognize that *you* are now “new” as well. Perhaps it is that the ways in which you move now differ, because you are in this space.
When you release auto-pilot (because it is not working in these moments anyway) you might find that you surprise yourself by choosing to embrace something you might not previously have embraced, or that release is now “easy” or who knows….
*That* is the point…release what you think you know, to be who you are in this moment.
7. Allow the unfamiliar to become familiar. Something is unfamiliar because our minds tell us so, but when you check in with your senses you will find that there is lots “familiar” about it. Our senses process the same, even if external looks different to us.
As we follow the above steps, that which we originally thought was “unfamiliar” becomes very familiar. Resistance naturally dissolves and trust (in self, in the process, in movement) deepens, inviting further enjoyment and exploration.
8. Feel the inspiration and motivation. The combination of love, gratitude, joy, and trust has now transformed the feel of fear to inspiration and motivation. Feel that inspiration and motivation.
9. Take the next step with gratitude, joy, and love. As you feel that inspiration and motivation, take the next step. I bet those steps feel much lighter, making them steps of ease and fun!
Notice that one of the steps within this practice is not “ask for help”. I fully believe in, and cultivate, external support and encouragement. However, the challenges are that: it is essential that this external support is from like-energy, enriching sources; in general we tend to look to external, when full presence invites us to apply empowerment *first*; there isn’t always someone available in the moment that we “need” them.
I like to share practices of presence that you can use now, this moment, as you are, regardless of what external is (or is not) available to you.
So, here is your “homework”. I would like for you to look into your life and identify an area in which you might feel stuck, currently, or an area in which you are reluctant to step forward (although you truly want to) because you feel some resistance to the newness.
When you identify that area, ask your self to apply the above steps. As you are, right here in this moment. And, see if expansion truly does feel wonderful as you step into it. Show your self you are capable of the change you seek and wish for, deepen your trust by not “just” reading the words, but allowing your self the experience of living them. And, if you would like to share your experience, please email me.
I want you to feel infinite possibility as you move through World connecting and creating.
You are the change.
I would love to know in the comments below, do you feel resistance, and, if you do, what method do you use to move through it? When you share, we all learn.
And, the complimentary energetic circle is now open for January 2013. If you are interested in joining us, please click the title to add your name and intention.
Much peace and abundant love,
Reminder: Experiment. Explore. Experience.